Joey’s Pet of the Week – Rodger’s Gardening Mishap
By Scott Lackenby | Dated October 16, 2014
Hey everyone! Thank you for all the birthday love yesterday. I was indeed a very spoilt boy. I’m really spoilt everyday, but it’s nice that my humans make an extra special effort on my birthday. I like to use my birthday to reflect on just how lucky I was to end up as a pampered clinic cat at a Pymble Vet. Or how lucky they are that I chose to stay on as a clinic cat! I really am very lucky to have so many humans, the ones I work with and our amazing clients, to take such great care of me. So thank you again for all the birthday love!
How great was it that Nurse Hollie got runner up in the Vet Nurse of the Year awards?!? I got pretty excited when the limo pulled up, I thought I would get to go as her date. But unfortunately I had to wait at work with everyone else to find out the news. We are all super happy and proud of her. You won’t see too much of Nurse Hollie at Reception, but she is an amazing Nurse and we are lucky to have her as part of the GVH team. It’s going to be a big few weeks for Nurse Hollie as she and her fiancé Mark get married on Saturday! Luckily for them the weather is meant to be better than it has been. I’ve got my suit all ironed and ready to go. All I need now is my invite, which I’m sure has just been lost in the post….
How crazy has the weather been?? As you know, I’m not good when the weather is yuk and I can’t go outside. But I’m pretty happy to stay inside when it’s stormy. We’re lucky here at GVH. We don’t get disturbed by the thunder and lightning when we are inside as we have big heavy doors that help to muffle the noise. But I did feel bad for all my 4legged friends who suffer from storm phobias. Just remember that there are medications they can have and other complimentary products we can use to help alleviate their storm phobia. If you would like to have a chat about your options, please just give us a call. And how about it snowing in the Blue Mountains?!? It’s hard to believe that 12months ago they were being ravaged by terrible bushfires and this year they were blanketed in snow! I don’t think I’d like snow. Too cold on my toes!
We had two adorable baby Tawny Frogmouths in this week. One of the amazing carers from Sydney Wildlife Service dropped them in to be checked after a member of the public found them in their yard and saw no sign of their parents. Dr Sam Lackenby checked them all over and gave them a clean bill of health to go into care until they are big enough to be released.
My star this week is the mischievous Rodger, a Cavoodle who was being looked after by his Grandma while his Dad was on holidays. Rodger thought he would help out his Grandma in the garden but he didn’t realise that Azalea’s are toxic to dogs, so he really shouldn’t be pulling petals off them! Unfortunately not eating toxic plants is not something Rodger would of been taught in dog training! Azalea toxicity can lead to tummy upsets and bradycardia, or a low heart rate. Unfortunately for Rodger this meant we needed to make him vomit up any bits of Azalea he had eaten. In another unfortunate turn of events for Rodger, when Dr Helen Burns examined his vomit, there was plant material in there but no Azalea bits! But better to be safe than sorry. There are a whole host of plants and flowers that are toxic to dogs and cats, so if your 4legged friend ever eats something, it’s best to call us for advice. Rodger was a little sleepy after his big vomit but was back to his old cheeky self in no time.
Well, better go. Time to start thinking about ordering some dinner. Have a great weekend. Meows for now, love Joey xoxo
Written by Scott Lackenby
Scott joined the team at Gordon Vets in 1999, where he was immediately impressed with the high standard of customer service. Scott is very popular amongst clients for his kind hearted approach to pet care and his great sense of humour. His particular areas of interest are endocrinology and dermatology.
By John Morgan | Dated February 7, 2018 | 0 Comments
Feline panleukopaenia (also known as “feline parvovirus”, “feline enteritis” or more recently “cat plague”) has has been receiving a lot of press coverage lately. The virus that causes this disease […]