Pet Health Checks
Regular Health Checks for your dog and cat are just as important for your pet’s health as vaccinations. Even though your pet may be in perfect health, regular check ups ensure your pet has continued health and longevity. It is the ‘prevention is better than cure’ approach!
Quite a lot of information about your pet can be uncovered during their health check. For example, early warning signs of serious problems can be noticed. When detected early, many problems can be prevented or delayed. As they get older or develop a special medical condition, the check up should be at least every 6 months.
At Gordon Vet Hospital we will provide your pet with a comprehensive ‘nose-to tail’ examination. During your visit, one of our vets will look at and discuss:
- Weight (this is recorded at every visit so that we can see whether your pet’s weight is steady)
- Skin and coat (general condition and lumps and bumps)
- Ears (looking for signs of infection)
- Eyes (general exam, discuss anything owner has observed)
- Dental Examination (looking for signs of dental disease, bad breath)
- Heart /Lungs (using a stethoscope)
- Musculoskeletal exam (muscle and bones)
- Abdominal palpation (feel their abdomen)
- Parasite control
- Internal Parasites (check that your pet is on suitable heartworm and intestinal worm prevention)
- External Parasites (check that your pet is on suitable flea and tick prevention)
In between the annual check up there are some basic things you need to do to make sure your cat or dog stays as healthy as possible.
- Feed a good quality, nutritious diet (e.g. Hill’s Science Diet)
- Pet Dental care
- Weight control (a regular diet and exercise)
- Maintaining proper parasitic control (Internal and External)
- Keep a close eye on your pet’s general wellbeing (observing any change in behaviour such as not eating, lethargy etc)
- Seek veterinary advice as soon as you notice changes in your pet