Insect Bite Reactions
By Kay Hisano | Dated January 23, 2024
Summer is here and that means it’s also insect season, and for some pups, that means dealing with reactions to bug bites that could puff up their adorable faces. Insects such as bees, wasps, mosquitoes, and ants are active during this season and can provoke allergic responses in dogs. When bitten, some dogs exhibit facial swelling, particularly around the eyes, muzzle, or sometimes the entire face, indicating an allergic reaction.
While facial swelling might seem peculiar or comical initially, it can signify an allergic response rather than just an exaggerated snout. In severe cases, these reactions can progress to anaphylaxis, a potentially life-threatening condition requiring immediate attention.
Main signs to look out for with insect bite reactions:
- Swollen face or muzzle
- Hives or rashes across the body
- Difficulty breathing
This is Mary. Mary came into Gordon Vet with a very swollen face, huffing and puffing, and looking a bit lethargic. After an injection of anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory medication Mary’s breathing rate calmed down and we could finally see her usual lovely face again.
It is often difficult to find the exact cause of the allergic reaction, however with treatment including an anti-histamine and an anti-inflammatory dosage of steroid medication, the prognosis is often excellent.
There are some ways to help mitigate insect bite allergies. Consider outdoor activities during times when insects are less active, such as early mornings or evenings, to minimize the risk of bites. If your pet has had multiple previous allergic reactions consider having a chat with our vets about anti-histamine usage.