• Like us on
  • Follow us on
  • Follow us on
  • Follow us on

Joey’s Pet of the Week – Louis’ Chocolate Snack

By Scott Lackenby | Dated April 19, 2017

Hey everyone! How was your Easter? Hopefully the Easter Bunny was good to you all. It’s been a little hard getting back into the swing of things after a four day weekend. I’ve needed extra naps and rests just to get through the days…..

Working hard at the reception desk

Working hard at the reception desk

A SUPER big Happy Birthday to Nurse Ange for yesterday!! We did celebrate with cake, but we were all so busy enjoying it, that no one thought to take a picture! Having cake after a four day weekend was the perfect start to the week! Happy Birthday again Nurse Ange!!13006688_10154152448609048_8410835291362594957_n

My star this week is the handsome Louis, a 3year old Golden Retriever who ate 3/4 of a 200g box of chocolates. Louis’ Mum spoke to Dr Matt Leong. Dr Matt calculated that given Louis’ size, that this amount of chocolate shouldn’t cause Louis any problems. Not wanting to take any chances, Louis’ Mum decided to bring Louis in to make him vomit.

Louis was given an injection to make him vomit. Now, I know we have spoken about this before, but a chocolate vomit is pretty amazing/gross. It looks and smells just like liquid chocolate. It also tends to be quite messy. So Dr Matt got Louis a spew bucket, an empty cat litter box! This worked a treat!! Now, because I’m sure you are all enjoying your Easter chocolates, I won’t post the chocolatey vomit pic. Aren’t I a thoughtful clinic cat?!? Louis did vomit up what looked, and smelled, like some chocolate as well as some meat and dog biscuits. But he was showing no ill effects from his naughty snack, so he was able to go home later that same day.

Loius and his spew bucket

Loius and his spew bucket

This is certainly a good reminder, especially at this time of year when there is extra chocolate around, to make extra certain that your pets can’t get into it. Chocolate is toxic to us. Not just to dogs, but to cats as well. We don’t see many cats who have eaten chocolate, maybe because we are smarter, or maybe just because cats tend not to eat sweet things like chocolate. If your pet has eaten chocolate, please call us straight away for advice. In the right amount, chocolate can kill us.

Phew! All this work has made me a little sleepy. I’d better go and have a nap before dinner. Meows for now, love Joey xox

Scott Lackenby
Written by Scott Lackenby

Scott joined the team at Gordon Vets in 1999, where he was immediately impressed with the high standard of customer service. Scott is very popular amongst clients for his kind hearted approach to pet care and his great sense of humour. His particular areas of interest are endocrinology and dermatology.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Book Online