By Dr HELEN BURNS BVSc (Hons) | Dated May 21, 2018 | 0 Comments
What are they and how can you avoid them? While most of us may get through life never needing to think about zoonoses (diseases you can catch from and animal), […]
By Dr HELEN BURNS BVSc (Hons) | Dated April 30, 2018
How good is your animal knowledge? Test yourself on our animal trivia quiz below !
No waiting for answers this time. You’ll find them below.
1. Bees are found on every continent except for one. Which one?
2. What is the Portuguese Man o’ War?
3. Is it ok to house a rabbit and a guinea pig together?
4. Is a dolphin a mammal or a fish?
6. What animal does mohair come from?
7. Name the 2 mammals that lay eggs.
8. Guinea pigs do not produce their own vitamin A, B, C or D ?
9. A murder of ….. ?
10. What bird has the largest wingspan?
3.No, a rabbit and guinea pig should not be housed together. Rabbits can carry a bacterium called Bordatella, which can cause respiratory disease in guinea pigs.
4. A dolphin is a mammal. Dolphin calves are not surprisingly, born in the water, tail first, after a 12 month pregnancy.
6. It comes from an Angora goat. (As opposed to Angora wool which comes from the Angora rabbit). Most mohair is produced in Southern Africa.
8. Just like humans, guinea pigs do not produce their own vitamin C. If they do not have a source of Vitamin C in their diet, they may develop scurvy.
10. The Wandering Albatross has a wingspan of 2.5-3.5 metres. They spend most of their life in flight, only landing to feed and reproduce.