• 关注
  • 关注
  • 关注

Chocolate Toxicity in Pets and Easter Hours

By Sam Lackenby | Dated April 11, 2017

Please be advised of our Easter Long weekend hours in case of any chocolate related (or general) emergencies:

14th April (Good Friday): 10am to 2pm
15th April: 7:30am to 5pm
16th April (Easter Sunday): 10am to 2pm
17th April (Easter Monday): 10am to 2pm

When that chocolate cake sitting on the kitchen bench smells just so good, or the Easter eggs wrapped in foil have been ‘hidden’ around the house and yard, pets can’t help themselves. And once they start, it’s so difficult to stop!
As we all eagerly await the visit from the Easter Bunny, there are some of us who need to exercise restraint. No, we’re not talking about healthy humans. We’re talking about the four-legged (and winged) members of our family. Unfortunately, pets are just like us, and don’t always find it inside themselves to show self control when there is something delicious nearby.

The bitter seeds of the Cacao plant, which are used to make chocolate, are packed with theobromine and caffeine, both of which are highly toxic to our pets. Different types of chocolate contain varying concentrations of these toxic compounds, and baking chocolate, followed by semisweet and dark chocolate contain the most. Milk chocolate and chocolate cakes and biscuits tend to contain less of the toxic compounds.

Unfortunately for our pugs, cavoodles and other littlies, and certainly for our pocket pets such as rabbits and birds, they don’t need to eat much chocolate at all to be seriously ill. There is more of a safety margin for larger dogs such as Labradors and Golden Retrievers, however they do possess a remarkable ability for ‘inhaling’ delicious contraband items!

At its mildest, pets who eat chocolate may have abdominal pain, vomit and develop diarrhea secondary to the fat it contains. In some animals this triggers a painful episode of pancreatitis, which makes them very ill indeed.
The theobromine in chocolate is much more dangerous, however, and can trigger not only vomiting and diarrhea, but also stimulates the heart and nervous system to cause hyperactivity, muscle tremors, seizures, heart arrhythmias and death.

If you discover your pet has eaten chocolate, please phone your vet immediately to advise them of the amount and type of chocolate ingested. Your vet can use a ‘chocolate calculator’ to determine if a toxic dose was consumed. If it happened within the previous couple of hours, then your vet may be able to make them vomit to reduce absorption of the toxin. If your pet is showing signs of chocolate poisoning, such as twitching, restlessness, panting or seizures, phone your vet immediately and be prepared for them to stay in hospital. It can take up to four days for dogs to recover from chocolate toxicity, and unfortunately pets who are severely affected do not all pull through.

So, Happy Easter, but please take care of the non-human members of the family and keep all chocolate well out of reach (or eat it straight away)!

Joey helping himself to some chocolate that is very toxic to pets (NB he didn't actually eat any).

Joey helping himself to some chocolate that is very toxic to pets (NB he didn’t actually eat any).

Chandon showing off her festive Easter outfit.

Chandon showing off her festive Easter outfit.

头像
Written by Sam Lackenby

发表评论

电子邮件地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

Online presence by Pet Pack | Web Design by Online Marketing for Doctors | 网站地图
在线预订
Lihong Xing
Lihong Xing
05:00 05 Nov 18
Highly recommend Dr David, Scott, Helen, and Catherine, I've taken my cat to see all the doctors here.
Vishal Kapoor
Vishal Kapoor
01:52 04 Sep 18
Really amazing staff members. Their systems and processes are also very
Arezu A
Arezu A
03:20 15 Feb 18
Absolutely love the service here. I switched from other Vets to this Vet as the staff here are quite attentive and really care about your furry baby! I have basically seen most of the Dr's here and all of them so far have been fantastic, friendly and fun to speak with! Easy to locate and enough parking available! 5 Stars indeed!
Gerry Stevens
Gerry Stevens
11:01 14 Jul 18
Good competant vet. Did what I needed. Staff friendly. Cat's well.
Jeremy Tarbox
Jeremy Tarbox
22:55 10 Sep 18
We found a stray, agitated dog in front of our house last night. We phoned but got no help from the Council ranger who gave two options: tie him up in front yard overnight or "let him loose, he'll find his own way home" :( So we phoned Gordon Vet: they stayed open a few minutes so we could run him up and he could have a bed and dinner. Thank you Gordon Vet Hospital, hope he gets home soon!!! :)
See All Reviews